IN THE NEWS

May 24, 2017

 

The United Kingdom remains on high alert after a bombing at the Manchester Arena killed 23 people. Various media reports put the number of injured between 64 and 112. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, but British Intelligence is looking into all possibilities.

Over 1000 British soldiers have been deployed to maintain security in the country, and Prime Minister Theresa May said in a press conference Tuesday that she had raised the country’s security level to ‘critical’. Authorities are warning that another attack “may be imminent”.

Manchester police chief Ian Hopkin held a press conference today addressing the ongoing investigation into the bombings. He says they are looking into a potential terror cell that was involved in the bombing.

“I think it’s very clear that this is a network that we are investigating,” Hopkin said.

“There’s extensive investigations going on and activity taking place across Greater Manchester.”

He told reporters that there have been 4 arrests so far in connection to the terrorist attack, but that there is more to be done.

“The level of activity in this investigation is intense and is continuing at a fast pace.” Hopkin confirmed.

The suicide bomber has been identified as 23-year-old, Salman Adebi. Adebi was reportedly known by UK security services, and had recently returned from a trip in Libya days before he carried out the attack.

The attack took place during an Ariana Grande concert, just as it was coming to an end, leaving thousands of young concert goers fleeing from the Arena and separated from friends and family.

The Islamic State through their social media accounts claimed responsibility for the attack on Tuesday.

The attack has been called the worst terrorist attack in the UK since the July 2005 bombings in London that killed 52 people. Speaking to journalists today, a leader from the Manchester Islamic Centre, Fawaz Al Haffar, strongly and unequivocally condemned what he called this "cowardly" act.

Not long after after the police chief spoke to media, Manchester police announced that fifth suspect has now been arrested and is in custody. The police said that, at the time of his arrest, the person “was carrying a package, which we are currently assessing.”

– Sean Cann-Sheppard

RELATED LINKS