In the News

Jun 10, 2021

"Do not touch the water" is a very serious message, and that is exactly what the Nova Scotia emergency alert system ordered early Thursday morning.

“There is an unknown issue with the water in Grand Lake that has caused animals to die and has sent one citizen to hospital,” it said.

Enfield, Elmsdale, Lantz and East Hants are supplied with water from Grand Lake through the East Hants Regional Water Utility, as are some areas of Halifax. Grand Lake is less than 5km west of the town of Enfield and about 15km north of Dartmouth.

“All residents who have water feeds from Grand Lake are to cease using the water immediately. Do not consume, do not drink, do not bathe, do not use to cook, do not boil, do not allow pets in the water. Do not go in the water by foot or by boat at anytime, unless this order is rescinded.”

Halifax Water issued a statement Thursday morning informing their tap water consumers that their water continues to be safe for normal use and consumption.

“Halifax Water operates three small water systems within the same watershed as Grand Lake: Bomont, Collins Park, and Bennery Lake. None of these systems draw water from Grand Lake. Halifax Water tap water remains safe for normal use and consumption throughout HRM.”

The utility acknowledged that some residents may not be aware of where their water comes from, and suggests to check on the Halifax Water website.

Local residents confirmed two dogs that had been in the lake yesterday died shortly afterwards at the Elmsdale Veterinary Hospital.

According to a CBC report, a veterinarian at the clinic, said the dogs were showing signs of possible blue-green algae poisoning, including excessive drooling, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea. 

Testing of the lake water is being conducted.

RELATED LINKS